Each night, we have the kids report on whether or not they got all their chores, homework, practicing etc. . . done for each day. When they do all the "stuff" for 12 days, we give them a candy bar in a special presentation. The theory is that public recognition is a more effective motivator than any prize. It seems to work.
Here's Roger doing a presentation for Joseph. (Don't worry, it's short.)
Here's a presentation for Caitlin.
Laurel wanted a presentation too.
(What some people will endure to get a candybar.)
Stevie got one too!
During the day on Friday, the roads were horribly slushy with ice underneath and the snow fall was so heavy it was blizzard-like at times. There had been little plowing at all on most side roads for days so there was like 6 inches of nearly frozen slush on our roads by Friday afternoon. It was easy to get stuck in. We helped several people by our house get unstuck Friday afternoon. Late, Friday night, about 11:00 pm, it warmed up to 40 degrees which was really weird because it was warmer at midnight than it had been for 10 days. Saturday, the snow had melted enough for us to get around and do a much needed shopping trip, but the going was rough. The side roads and parking lots were like craters of the moon but slippery. When we got home, Roger shoveled snow off the road to our house (imagine clearing the road, the whole road, because no snow plows would come and do it). It was a huge job, but he made two tire track lines for us to drive in so we could get out safely and go to church on Sunday. We still almost got stuck twice on our way to and from church, but Roger's expert driving saved the day. Over the course of 13 days, we probably got 18 inches of snow altogether, which never really melted until today. We have never been so glad to see rain and 40 degree weather in all our years living here. Someone (not me) prayed for a white Christmas. They got it and then some.
A little too much love.
How's the weather at your place?

Crazy snow stories! This is a Christmas you won't forget!
ReplyDeleteIt's already snowed here more than all the snow last winter combined, but it's all powder. I tried to make a nice big snowman for Emma. It ended up barely making to be two feet tall!! Dan doesn't like the snow and wonders why anyone would ever want to play in it!
Holy snow for you guys, too! I particularly liked the awards, though. I'm going to have to steal that idea and do it for Christmas here in the 'burg. Happy New Years to you! :)
ReplyDeleteNo snow here - thank goodness! I'm reeeally not looking forward to getting back to Rexburg next week though, they've had a ton of snow.
ReplyDeleteWhat a crazy experience it must have been to have been the person on that gurney :S
I'm glad that the snow finally went away. It was the last thing I expected when I got home from school. Now I will have to endure even more snow once I go back...I that snow probably won't go away until May!! I'm glad you had a good holiday despite the snow!
ReplyDelete